Thursday, January 24, 2008

Heath Ledger

Words can't express how terrible that I feel about the whole Heath Ledger situation. It is trite and cliche to say that he was so young and promising and blah, blah, blah, because even though that is all true, his life was a human life, and that made him special enough, whether he was a Hollywood star or not.
No disrespect to the dead, but a part of me wonders if I would care as much if Heath was just a regular person who died suddenly. I fear that while, yes, I would be saddened, but not as much because the person is not a celebrity or another famous person, and that makes me question myself as a person. It makes me question who I consider to be important to worry and cry about, and how celebrities make you feel like you know them personally when you don't and most likely never will.
Another issue in this Heath Ledger tragedy is the issue of whether or not it was accidental or suicide. I personally don't want to think it is suicide because he had too much to live for. He had a successful career and a daughter. At the same token, I don't want to think that it was a drug overdose either, but if I could choose, I'd choose the latter. When u think about it, though, there is a slight bias. I think that if Heath was not successful, people would be more inclined to think it to be suicide because that is the "sexier" story. In news, as they say, if it bleeds, it leads.
Well, I guess we will know more when the full autopsy report comes out, but the circumstances of the whole thing are bizarre. It's like an episode of CSI or something. A naked, dead body. The odd supporting characters such as the masseuse who found Heath and, of all people, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen! That is a WTF moment if I have ever heard of one.
I am exhausted from the whole thing, at least for right now. Whenever some other thought comes to mind, I will post it.

No comments: